Sunday, March 20, 2011

Geek Season approaches

April may be the cruelest month, according to T. S. Eliot, but it's also the start of ... Geek Season!

For the next few months, there's something going on to please my not-so-inner nerd.

April brings Monsterpalooza, which I must attend not only because it's by all accounts a good, old-fashioned con, but because Malcolm McDowell, star of A Clockwork Orange, Cat People, Caligula, Time After Time, and many more (and also a member of my Imaginary Boyfriends Hall of Fame), will be there. Closing out the month will be the L. A. Times Festival of Books. I'm still uncertain about the Festival's relocation to USC campus (in the past it's always been at UCLA) but I can't resist the chance to go hang out with thousands of book geeks.

In May there is the Weekend of Horror con, which this year will feature legendary director John Carpenter. I'm also excited about the presence of Scott Wilson, who played one of my favorite characters in one of my favorite movies (Captain Billy Cutshaw in The Ninth Configuration).

And of course, July brings us the San Diego Comic-Con. It's too big, too crowded, and the ticket sales process has been an utter boondoggle for two years in a row, but damn if I'm not excited to be going for all four days. Look for me to be wearing my Phantom of the Paradise outfit at least one of those days.

Let your geek flag fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment