Sunday, March 29, 2009

Geek Monthly magazine

I don't subscribe to many magazines, mostly because I don't have time to read them. I subscribe to Entertainment Weekly and The Writer. (I let my subscription to Bon Appetit lapse because their recipes were getting too esoteric even for me - I mean, really, green tea cheesecake? - and because I've already got a huge backlog of recipes I've clipped and haven't tried yet.)

But I've just added Geek Monthly to my list of subscriptions. I only just heard of it, and probably wouldn't have picked it up if it hadn't had Nathan Fillion, my imaginary boyfriend du jour, on the cover. Fine interview (and pictures!) with Mr. Fillion aside, it's a fun little magazine that covers many areas of geekiness. Some sections aren't of interest to me (such as anime and game console reviews) but there's also Blu-Ray reviews that are honest about whether you need to trade up on your DVDs, interviews with and articles about such diverse people as Wallace Shawn and Takashi Miike, and more. 

They had me at an article that singles out Ray Harryhausen's ten greatest moments ... and did not have to explain who Harryhausen is. This magazine speaks my language. Check it out at geekmonthly.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment