Monday, December 23, 2013

Reading in 2013 - the year in retrospect

It was a very odd year for me in terms of reading. Regular readers will have noticed that I stopped doing monthly updates of what I was reading a few months ago. The truth is that it's been a busy year, with a lot going on (mostly positive but some negative). Not only have I not been keeping good track of what I read, but a lot of new books I've read this year haven't held my attention, and I've fallen back on re-reads and looking through cookbooks.

But there were some excellent books I read this year, so seeing as it's nearly year-end, here are the books I most enjoyed reading in 2013:

Clockwork Twist (Waking) - Emily Thompson: First in a steampunk series. Very imaginative and enjoyable.

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn: Watch the train wreck of a sociopathic couple at odds with each other.

I, The Jury - Mickey Spillane: Hard-boiled and politically incorrect, and loads of fun.

NOS4A2 - Joe Hill: Fantastic tale of the supernatural, and surprisingly moving.

The Best of Roald Dahl: Wicked and witty.

Bones of the Moon - Jonathan Carroll: A very interesting twist on the fantasy genre. Will definitely be on the lookout for more by this author.

Cold Light - Jenn Ashworth: Creepy, chilling tale of adolescent friendship gone wrong.

Honorable Mentions for Brain Candy Books: If you need escapism you could do worse than to read What Happens at Christmas by Victoria Alexander (fun romance novel set at Christmas in 19th century) and Frozen Heat by Richard Castle (nice to see the Castle tie-ins turning into real novels).

No comments:

Post a Comment