Monday, September 7, 2009

Farewell summer

Well, summer's officially at an end, now that Labor Day weekend is over. I'd rather it hadn't ended in such dramatic fashion with the Station Fire but the worst is over - my neck of the woods is out of danger and the air is even breathable again.  But we made the most of the weekend, heading down to Disneyland where we stayed overnight and had a very enjoyable time.

School has started for Young Master and I'm gearing up for some deadline meeting - I have a top-priority project for my mystery Undertow to be done by the end of the month, and then I plan to resume work on the mainstream book and have the first draft of it done by the end of the year. 

I'm glad I have all this to occupy me as this time of year is my least favorite. I'm tired of summer but the weather here usually doesn't get the memo that summer's over until end of October at least. I've never much cared for Halloween as I'm no good at costumes and don't have much of a sweet tooth - yet because I have a kid I can't ignore the holiday and spend it in my usual way (turning the porch lights out to fool trick-or-treaters and lurking in the back room watching something like Suspiria or maybe The Changeling ). For me, the next thing to really look forward to is Thanksgiving, when I'll cook up a righteous feast. In the meantime, I'll be putting the nose to the grindstone, and enjoying every minute of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment