Thursday, July 12, 2012

Comic-Con 2012 Day 1: New writer discovered, an icon remembered, and bad movies mocked

We got up bright and early this morning and headed over to the Convention Center. Amazingly enough, the line to get badges was not a royal boondoggle, and we were able to get our badges with little difficulty. Unfortunately, we were so early that we had to line up and wait in the Sails Pavilion to wait for the vendor room to open. Ah, waiting in line - always such fun.


A nifty sign in the Sails Pavilion.

At any rate, the doors opened eventually and we made our way to the vendor room. I think that Karen was really blown away by the sheer size of the room and the number of the vendors. We walked the perimeter to get a feel for the place, and I saw a number of things I want to get (that hopefully won't be a big pain to haul home).


A Jawa on the vendor floor.

At a book vendor I got Christopher Walken A to Z: The Man, The Movies, The Legend, and saved $7 off the cover price too! At the Harper Collins booth I picked up Shadow Show: All New Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradbury (we were heading to a panel for this later in the afternoon). While I was there I heard that Joe Hill would be doing a signing, so I threw in a copy of 20th Century Ghosts and had him sign that for me.

Then it was upstairs to a panel Karen wanted to see, a sci-fi writer named N. K. Jemisin. Haven't heard of her before, but she did a reading and her work sounds pretty interesting. After a lunch break we headed over to the Shadow Show panel, which featured Joe Hill and Margaret Atwood (still cannot believe that Margaret Atwood was at Comic-Con!). The panel was a wonderful tribute to Ray Bradbury, and probably the highlight of the day.


Yours truly and author Joe Hill.

After the panel we went over to an exhibition of all the Batmobiles, and then met up with my friends Mary and Jeremy. We had a bite to eat and compared what we'd done and what we plan to do (there are plans to all get together for the Django Unchained panel on Saturday). Then Karen and I went over to the Indigo Ballroom to get in line for Rifftrax.


My favorite of the Batmobiles on display.

The Rifftrax panel was a hoot, as the guys did their riffing on a horrible safety short from the 1970s, and then asked fans to submit their own ideas for bad movies. (My favorite suggestion was the one that was a remake of Twilight, but with all the characters getting eaten by Claymation dinosaurs.)

Some killjoys outside the con.

By now the horrible headache I'd been plagued with all day went away, and I actually had an appetite again. So we went for dinner to The Field, an Irish pub, where Karen had bangers and mash and I had a boxy with Irish bacon. It all hit the spot. Then, back to the Westgate.

Tomorrow's plan: FIREFLY REUNION! And hopefully the Game of Thrones panel.

No comments:

Post a Comment