Thursday, July 21, 2011

Comic-Con 2011 Day 1: Patience Pays Off

The first actual day of festivities at Comic-Con got off to a decent start. I got in line to get my badges. I was worried this was going to be a pain as I could not get a four-day pass and had to get individual passes for each day; in the past they made you stand in line every day to get your pass for that day. This year, thankfully, the Con organizers had a moment of lucidity and let people get all four day's badges at once. Hooray!

I ran over to Ballroom 20 to get in line for the Burn Notice panel - I don't watch the show but I cannot resist the chance to see Bruce Campbell work a room full of nerds as only he can. Unfortunately I didn't get into the room in time (but I saw Bruce at last year's Weekend of Horror con so I'm not complaining). But I did eventually get into the room where I camped out so I would be guaranteed a seat for the Game of Thrones panel.

Game of Thrones heraldry outside Ballroom 20.

3 pm finally came and so did George R. R. Martin, author of the Song of Ice and Fire series. Also along were some cast members from the HBO Game of Thrones adaptation: Jason Momoa (Khal Drogo), Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen), Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister), and Kit Harington (Jon Snow). The panel was fun and informative, with the show stolen by Jason Momoa. I was happy I sat around most of the day for it!

A Song of Ice and Fire author George R. R. Martin.


After the panel I swung by the freebie table to drop off bookmarks promoting Bookballoon, then I met up with Erik and Gerry and we went for an early dinner, as none of us had had much lunch. We had a very tasty meal at The Old Spaghetti Factory, then headed back to the con. There Erik and a bunch of his Doctor Who friends did a big photo opportunity, then we all went over to catch the tail end of a Spike and Mike animation show (some really good stuff), and then a showing of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, which had a guest appearance by star Felicia Day.

A whole lotta Doctor Who fans.


Then it was back to the hotel for rest and relaxation!

Tomorrow: My first costume at Comic-Con!

No comments:

Post a Comment